A great hike can be more than a walk in the woods. These five Virginia hikes provide opportunities for clarity or contemplation—as you sit by a waterfall, watch the moon rise over the ocean, or bask in the rush of reaching a summit. For a dash of fun, we’ve included a haunted hike for Halloween!
1. The Haunted Hills of Bull Run
2. Run with wild ponies on Mount Rogers, Virginia’s tallest peak
3. Peaks of Otter: Just steps off the Blue Ridge Parkway
4. Overall Run, Shenandoah’s tallest waterfall
5. False Cape State Park: Beach hiking to a remote campsite.
For dozens more hikes in the Old Dominion, check out our award-winning guidebook Hiking Virginia.